LST-772 was laid down on 3 August 1944 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 24 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Elsie Jane Woodlief Arrington; and commissioned on 13 November 1944, Lt. George J. Nieman, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-772 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945. The ship was placed out of commission, in reserve, on 3 July 1946 and assigned to the Columbia River Group of the U.S. Pacific Reserve Fleet. Recommissioned on 3 November 1950, she saw extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated Ford County (LST-772) after counties in Illinois and Kansas. Ford County was destroyed as a target ship on 19 March 1958 and struck from the Navy list that same day.
LST-772 earned one battle star for World War II service and six for Korean War service.