Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
LST-692

LST-692 was laid down on 7 February 1944 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 31 March 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Alma D. Voelker; and commissioned on 10 May 1944, Lt. R. B. Carothers, USNR, in command.

During World War II, LST-692 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944. Decommissioned in 1946, she was placed in the reserve fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla., until reactivated in 1951. She performed active service during the Korean War and thereafter. LST-692 was redesignated Daviess County (LST-692) on 1 July 1955 after counties in Indiana, Kentucky, and Missouri. The ship was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1964 and transferred to the Military Sea Transportation Service where she operated as T-LST-692. Daviess County was transferred to the Philippine Navy on 13 September 1976.

LST-692 earned one battle star for World War II service and two battle stars for Korean service.