Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
LST-580

LST-580 was laid down on 17 May 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 26 June 1944; sponsored by Miss Mary Louise Rust; and commissioned on 25 July 1944, Lt. H. F. Guenzl in command.

During World War II, LST-580 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Lingayen Gulf landings in January 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in April 1945. Following the war, LST-580 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late January 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 29 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 2 May 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping,

LST-580 earned two battle stars for World War II service.