LST-571 was laid down on 14 April 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 25 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph H. Hayes; and commissioned on 14 June 1944, Lt. Walter A. Raleigh in command.
During World War II, LST-571 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the Lingayen Gulf landing in January 1945 and the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April to June 1945. Following the war, LST-571 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early December 1945.
Upon her return to the United States, LST-571 was decommissioned on 12 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 12 April that same year. On 17 August 1948, the ship was sold to the Port Houston Iron Works, Inc., of Houston, Tex., for non-self-propelled operation.
LST-571 earned two battle stars for World War II service.