LST-563 was laid down on 4 March 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 1 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. N. E. Senescall; and commissioned on 20 May 1944, Lt. J. B. Hockswender, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-563 was grounded on Clipperton Island in the eastern Pacific, 670 miles southwest of Mexico, on 21 December 1944 and suffered extensive damage. After numerous unsuccessful attempts to free her, LST-563 was stripped and abandoned on 9 February 1945. She was struck from the Navy list on 23 February 1945.