LST-558 was laid down on 11 February 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 14 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs.Henry Goodman; and commissioned on 8 May 1944, Lt. (jg.) H. A. Bisonet in command.
During World War II, LST-558 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
Leyte landings-October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945
Zambales-Subic Bay-January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April 1945
Following the war, LST-558 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early February 1946. The ship returned to the UnitedStates and was decommissioned on 13 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 16 September 1947. On 24 May 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-558 earned four battle stars for World War II service.