LST-556 was laid down on 4 February 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 7 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. James C. Bradshaw; and commissioned on 1 May 1944.
During World War II, LST-556 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
Leyte landing-October and November 1944
Ormoc Bay landings-December 1944
Mindoro landings-December 1944
Zambales-Subic Bay-January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April and May 1945
Following the war, LST-556 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 14 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 12 April that same year. On 26 April 1948, the ship was sold to the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., of Chester, Pa., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-556 earned five battle stars for World War II service.