Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Document Type
  • Ship History
Topic
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
LST-512

LST-512 was laid down on 22 July 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 10 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Gerry DeWane; and commissioned on 8 January 1944.

During World War II, LST-512 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. She returned to the United States and, on 28 March 1947, was decommissioned and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 1 July 1955, the ship was redesignated Burnett County (LST-512) after a county in Wisconsin and was struck from the Navy list on 18 February 1957. On 11 October 1957, she was sold to the Peruvian Navy.

LST-512 received one battle star for World War II Service.