LST-508 was laid down on 18 September 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 10 Novembed 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Alexander Best; and commissioned on 14 January 1944, Lt. John G. Holmes, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-508 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Following the war, she returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 2 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 January 1947. On 25 March 1947, the ship was transferred to the State Department for disposal.
LST-508 earned one battle star for World War II service.