LST-478 was laid down on 17 August 1942 at Richmond, Calif., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 7 November 1942; and commissioned on 13 March 1943, Lt. H. F. Holmshaw in command.
During World War II, LST-478 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Gilbert Island operation-November and December 1943
Hollandia operation-April 1944
Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944
Leyte landings-October 1944
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April 1945
Following the war, LST-478 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 23 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August 1947. On 25 March 1948, the ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., for scrapping.
LST-478 earned five battle stars for World War II service.