LST-473 was laid down on 10 July 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 9 December 1942; and commissioned on 16 March 1943, Lt. R. W. Dillard in command.
During World War II, LST-473 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Lae occupation-September 1943
Leyte landings-October 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945
Zambales-Subic Bay-January 1945
Mindanao Island landings-April 1945
Following the war, LST-473 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 18 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 17 April that same year. On 21 April 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to Hughes Bros., Inc., New York, N.Y., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-473 earned five battle stars for World War II service.