LST-471 was laid down on 29 October 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 3 December 1942; and commissioned on 11 March 1943, Lt. Samuel C. Otto, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-471 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Lae occupation-September 1943
Leyte landing-October and November 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945 Mindanao Island landings-March 1945
Balikpapan operation-June and July 1945
Following World War II, LST-471 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 26 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 12 April that same year. On 21 January 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to Hughes Bros., Inc., New York, N.Y., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-471 earned five battle stars for World War II service.