LST-446 was laid down on 15 June 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by Kaiser, Inc.; launched on 18 September 1942; and commissioned on 30 November 1942, Lt. H. A. Swartz, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-446 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Consolidation of southern Solomons - March through June 1943
New Georgia Group operation:
(a) New Georgia-Rendova-Vangunu occupation-July and August 1943
(b) Vella Lavella occupation-August 1943
(a) Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina-November and December 1943
Green Islands landing-February 1944
Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April 1945
Following the war, LST-446 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-December 1945. Upon her return to the United States, the tank landing ship was decommissioned on 13 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 October that same year. On 10 February 1947, she was sold to the Suwannee Fruit & Steamship Co., of Jacksonville, Fla., for conversion to merchant service.
LST-446 earned six battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for service in World War II.