LST-398 was laid down on 28 September 1942 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 23 November 1942; sponsored by Miss Mary Sherwood Giese; and commissioned on 2 January 1943.
During World War II, LST-398 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Consolidation of southern Solomons-June 1943 New Georgia Group operations:
(a) New Georgia-Rendova-Vangunu occupation-July 1943
(b) Vella Lavella occupation-August 1943
Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina-November and December 1943
Capture and occupation of Guam-August 1944
Following the war, LST-398 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-February 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 27 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August 1947. On 28 March 1948, LST-398 was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash.
LST-398 earned four battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.