LST-390 was laid down on 20 June 1942 at the Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; launched on 15 October 1942; sponsored by Miss Robin Holzbach; and commissioned on 28 November 1942, Lt. W. J. C. Baker, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-390 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina-November and December 1943
Capture and occupation of Saipan-June 1944
Capture and occupation of Iwo Jima-February 1945
Following the war, LST-390 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 12 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 29 September 1947. On 3 April 1948, the tank landing ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LST-390 earned three battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.