LST-358 was laid down on 24 October 1942 at the Charleston Navy Yard; launched on 15 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Robert Arthur Hinners; and commissioned on 8 February 1943.
During World War II, LST-358 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the following operations:
Sicilian occupation-July 1943
Salerno landings-September 1943
Anzio-Nettuno advanced landings-January through March 1944
Invasion of southern France-August and September 1944
LST-358 was transferred to the United Kingdom on 24 December 1944. She was returned to United States Navy custody on 27 February 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 15 August 1946. On 3 October 1947, the tank landing ship was sold to the Southern Trading Co., Philadelphia, Pa., and subsequently scrapped. LST-358 earned four battle stars for World War II service.