LST-339 was laid down on 17 July 1942 at the Norfolk Navy Yard; launched on 8 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. P. B. Britt; and commissioned on 23 December 1942, Lt. John H. Fulweiler, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-339 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Consolidation of southern Solomons-June 1943 New Georgia Group operation:
(a) New Georgia-Rendova-Vangunu occupation-June and July 1943
(b) Vella Lavella occupation-August 1943
Occupation and defense of Cape Torokina-November 1943
Hollandia operation-April 1944 Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Biak Island operation-May and June 1944
(b) Noemfoor Island operation-June and July 1944
(c) Morotai landings-September 1944
Following the war, LST-339 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945. Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 13 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947. On 16 October 1947, she was sold to the New Orleans Shipwrecking Corp., Chicago, III., for scrapping.
LST-339 earned four battle stars and the Navy Unit Commendation for World War II service.