Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
LST-310

LST-310 was laid down on 22 September 1942 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 23 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Inga M. Gustavson; and commissioned on 20 January 1943, Lt. W. P. Lawless, USNR, in command.

During World War II, LST-310 was assigned to the European theater of war and participated in the Sicilian occupation in July 1943, the British landings at Salerno in early September 1943 and the invasion of Normandy in June 1944. Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned in Baltimore on 16 May 1945 and began conversion to a landing craft repair ship. Following the armistice in the Pacific on 15 August the conversion was cancelled and the LST was struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946. On 28 January 1947, she was sold to the Boston Metals Co., of Baltimore, Md., for conversion to merchant service.

LST-310 earned three battle stars for World War II.

Update, 01 October 2007