LST-273 was laid down on 24 February 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 8 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. H. McComb; and commissioned on 24 September 1943.
During World War II, LST-273 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Marshall Islands operation:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
(b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April 1945
Following the war, LST-273 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late October 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 12 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 8 October 1946. On 3 November 1947, she was sold to the Hugo Neu Steel Products Corp., of New York, N.Y.
LST-273 earned six battle stars for World War II service.