LST-272 was laid down on 9 February 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 1 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. J. P. D. Gerrese; and commissioned on 17 Seutember 1943, Lt. Heinrich Heine, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-272 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945
She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 16 August 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 25 September 1946. On 5 April 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., for scrapping.
LST-272 earned five battle stars for World War II service.