LST-271 was laid down on 21 January 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 25 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. J. F. DeGraaf; and commissioned on 1 September 1943.
During World War II, LST-271 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945
LST-271 returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 22 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946. On 15 April 1948, she was sold to the Basalt Rock Co., Inc., of Napa, Calif., for scrapping.
LST-271 earned five battle stars for World War II service.