LST-246 was laid down on 12 May 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 22 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Joseph Shaw; and commissioned on 23 August 1943.
During World War II, LST-246 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Marshall Islands operation:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
(b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-May 1945
Following the war, LST-246 performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946 when she returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 14 February 1946. On 26 June 1947, she was transferred to the United States Army and struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1948.
LST-246 earned six battle stars for World War II service.