LST-242 was laid down on 8 March 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 3 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Charles R. Duskey; and commissioned on 5 August 1943, Lt. (jg.) J. W. Winney, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-242 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Gilbert Islands operation-November and December 1943
Marshall Islands operation:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
(b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan-June 1944
Leyte landings-October 1944
Following the war, LST-242 was redesignated LSTH-242 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946 when she returned to the United States. On 9 February 1946, she was decommissioned and transferred that same day to the Shipping Control Authority, Japan. She was struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947.
LSTH-242 earned four battle stars for World War II service as LST-242.