LST-24 was laid down on 19 November 1942 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 17 April 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Marguerite E. Davis; and commissioned on 14 June 1943.
During World War II, LST-24 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
(a) Capture and occupation of Guam-August 1944
Western New Guinea operation:
(a) Morotai landings-September 1944 Leyte landings-October and November 1944 Okinawa Gunto operation:
(a) Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-March and June 1945
LST-24 was decommissioned on 26 February 1946 and was struck from the Navy list on 5 June 1946. On 23 December 1947, she was sold to the Humble Oil & Refining Co., of Houston, Tex., and was converted for merchant service.
LST-24 earned five battle stars for World War II service.