LST-224 was laid down on 2 April 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 31 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. George P. Shoemaker; and commissioned on 23 September 1943.
During World War II, LST-224 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Marshall Islands operation:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
(b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
Capture and occupation of the southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima-February 1945
LST-224 was decommissioned on 22 March 1946, and struck from the Navy list on 17 April 1946. She was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Bethlehem, Pa., on 9 April 1948 for scrapping.
LST-224 earned five battle stars for World War II service.