LST-222 was laid down on 16 March 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 17 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Ruth Clydedale; and commissioned on 10 September 1943.
During World War II, LST-222 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July1944
Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
Following the war, LST-222 was redesignated LSTH-222 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until early February 1946 and served with the Military Sea Transportation Service as T-LST-222 from 31 March 1952 to 15 July 1972. On 15 July 1972, the tank landing ship was transferred to the Philippines as a loan, where, as of 1 January 1979, she remained active as Mindoro Occidental (LT-93).
LST-222 earned four battle stars for World War II service.