LST-221 was laid down on 9 March 1943 at Seneca, III., by the Chicago Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 7 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Isabelle Chamness; and commissioned on 2 September 1943, Lt. Joseph H. Church, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-221 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Marshall Islands operations:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
(b) Occupation of Eniwetok Atoll-February and March 1944
Hollandia operation-April 1944
Capture and occupation of Guam-April 1944
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April 1945
Following the war, LST-221 performed occupation duty in the Far East until late January 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 6 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 4 March 1948, she was sold to Port Houston Iron Works, Inc., of Houston, Tex., for non-self-propelled merchant service.
LST-221 earned four battle stars for World War II service.