LST-170 was laid down on 9 October 1942 at Evans-ville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 27 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. A. F. Sweet; and commissioned on 31 May 1943, Lt. T. N. Kelly, USCGR, in command.
During World War II, LST-170 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Bismarck Archipelago operation:
(a).Cape Gloucester, New Britain-December 1943
(b) Admiralty Islands landings-March 1944
Eastern New Guinea operation:
(a) Saidor occupation-January and February 1944
Hollandia operation-April and May 1944
Western New Guinea operations:
(a) Toem-Wakde-Sarmi area operation-May 1944
(b) Biak Island operation-May and June 1944
(c) Cape Sansapor operation-July and August 1944
(d) Morotai landing-September 1944
Leyte landings-October and November 1944
(a) Mindoro landings-December 1944
(b) Lingayen Gulf landing-January 1945
Consolidation of the southern Philippines:
(a) Mindanao Island landings-April 1945
Following the war, LST-170 was decommissioned on 6 April 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946. On 5 November 1947, she was sold to the Biloxi Boatwrecking Co., of Biloxi, Miss., for scrapping.
LST-170 earned seven battle stars for World War II service.