Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
LST-140

LST-140 was laid down on 10 November 1943 at Ambridge, Pa., by the American Bridge Co.; launched on 8 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Hugh Robertson ; and commissioned on 9 February 1944, Lt. Richard W. Mickelsen in command.

During World War II, LST-140 was assigned to the European theater and participated in the UGS-36 Convoy operation in April 1944 and the invasion of southern France in August and September 1944.

Upon her return to the United States, she was decommissioned on 5 January 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 12 March 1946. On 18 September 1947, the ship was sold to the Southern Shipwrecking Co., of New Orleans, La., for scrapping.

LST-140 earned two battle stars for World War II service.