LST-126 was laid down on 11 June 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 28 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Sam B. Storm; and commissioned on 2 October 1943, Lt. M. A. Cassell in command.
During World War II, LST-126 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Marshall Islands operation:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June 1944
Leyte landings-October 1944
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 17 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 23 June 1947. On 14 June 1948, she was sold to the Oil Transport Co., of New Orleans, La., for conversion to merchant service.
LST-126 earned three battle stars for World War II service.