Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
LST-123

LST-123 was laid down on 5 June 1943 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 14 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. C. B. Enlow; and commissioned on 7 September 1943, Lt. Francis P. Rossiter, USNR, in command.

During World War II, LST-123 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:

Marianas operation:

(a) Capture and occupation of Guam-July 1944

Leyte landings-October 1944

Lingayen landings in Luzon-January 1945

Following the war, LST-123 was redesignated LSTH-123 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945.

Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 22 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1946. On 30 March 1948, she was sold to the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., of Chester, Pa., for scrapping.

LSTH-123 earned three battle stars for World War II service as LST-123.