LST-121 was laid down on 23 May 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 16 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. H. A. Bayless; and commissioned on 29 September 1943, Lt. John P. Devaney, USNR, in command.
During World War II, LST-121 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Marshall Islands operation:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-January and February 1944
(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
(b) Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
Western Caroline Islands operation:
(a) Capture and occupation of southern Palau Islands-September and October 1944
Iwo Jima operation:
(a) Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima-February 1945
Following the war, LST-121 was redesignated LSTH-121 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 21 March 1946. On 14 April 1946, she was sold to the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., of Chester, Pa., for scrapping. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 May 1946.
LSTH-121 earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-121.