LST-1154 was laid down on 4 August 1945 at the Boston Navy Yard; launched on 19 July 1946; sponsored by Mrs. Wilder D. Baker; and commissioned on 24 May 1949, Comdr. Courtland T. Babcock in command.
From her commissioning until 1962, LST-1154 alternated assignments for the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet along the east coast of the United States with assignment to the 6th Fleet during periodic deployments to the Mediterranean. She was redesignated Tallahatchie County (LST-1154) (q.v.) after a county in Mississippi on 1 July 1955. She was converted to an advance aviation base ship and redesignated AVB-2 on 3 February 1962. For the remainder of her career,Tallahatchie County provided support to aviation units in the Mediterranean. She was decomissioned on 15 June 1970 and struck from the Navy list.Tallahatchie County was sold for scrap to Contieri Navali Santa Maria, Genoa, Italy, in July 1970.