LST-1097 was laid down on 22 November at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 16 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Susan A. Rash; and commissioned on 9 February 1945, Lt. Earl J. Lane in command.
During World War II, LST-1097 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in May and June 1945. Following the war, she performed occupation duty in the Far East until early November 1945. She was decommissioned on 19 December 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Reserve Fleet. On 27 January 1949, the ship was redesignated AG-149 and named League Island (q.v.).
Recommissioned on 3 January 1951, the cargo stores ship performed service during the Korean War. Redesignated AKS-30, she continued service with the Pacific Fleet into 1956. Decommissioned again on 14 December 1956, League Island was struck from the Navy list on 1 April 1960 and sold for scrapping to the Hatch & Kirk Co., Seattle, Wash., on 24 April 1961.
LST-1097 earned one battle star for World War II service.