LST-1006 was laid down on 5 February 1944 at Quincy, Mass., by the Bethlehem Steel Co.; launched on 11 March 1944; and commissioned on 12 April 1944, Lt. Vardy D. Garvey in command.
During World War II, LST-1006 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Leyte landings-October 1944
Zambales-Subic Bay-January 1945
Assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto-April through June 1945
Following the war, LST-1006 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until late March 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 26 July 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 28 August that same year. On 14 June 1948, the ship was sold to Steele Powers for operation.
LST-1006 earned three battle stars for World War II service.