(SS-297: displacement 1,525 (standard), 2,424 (submerged); length 311'6"; beam 27'3"; draft 15'3"; speed 20.5 knots (surface), 8.75 knots (submerged) complement 66; armament 1 5-inch, 10 21-inch torpedo tubes; class Balao)
Ling (SS-297) was laid down on 2 November 1942 at Philadelphia, Pa., by Cramp Shipbuilding Company; launched 15 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. E. J. Foy; and commissioned at the Boston Navy Yard on 8 June 1945, Cmdr. George G. Malumphy in command.
After shakedown and further installations, Ling headed out to sea to test her equipment on 15 September 1945. The submarine based at New London, Conn., until she sailed on 11 February 1946 for the Panama Canal Zone, arriving there eight days later. She operated out of Panama until 9 March when she sailed north.
Ling completed inactivation on 23 October 1946 at New London, and was decommissioned on 26 October 1946, and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet.
In March 1960, Ling was towed to Brooklyn, N.Y., where she assumed the duties of a training submarine. Reclassified AGSS-297, she served in that capacity through 1969.