Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Knickerbocker (S. P. 479)

(SP-479:1.123; l.110'; b. 23'11" ; dr. 11'; s. 9 k.)

A former name retained.

Knickerbocker (S. P. 479), a steam tug, was built by Neafle & Levy, Philadelphia, Pa., in 1873 and rebuilt in 1904. She was leased by her owner, Cornell Steamboat Co., New York City, 2 May 1917 and enrolled in the Navy Coast Defense Reserve. Purchased 13 September, Knickerbocker commissioned 22 September at New York, Boatswain M. J. Lounsbery, USNRF, in command.

Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Knickerbocker operated on the Hudson River and New York Harbor as a minesweeper, tug, and dispatch ship. Though ordered struck from the Navy List 14 March 1918, the scarcity of tugs resulted in her retention for harbor duty. On 30 December she was assigned to the training and guard ship Amphitrite and served as a dispatch ship. Knickerbocker decommissioned 18 February 1919 and was sold the same day to Francis J. McDonald of Ardmore, Pa.

Published: Mon Feb 08 15:35:17 EST 2016