Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials
(AMC-21: dp. 275; l. 105'7"; b. 22'10"; dr. 9'8"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 18; a. 1.50 cal. mg.)

A ringed plover; a North American shore and field bird (Charadius vociferus).

Killdeer (AMC-21) was originally built as a purse seiner in 1930 by Al Larson, Los Angeles with the name of Vindicator; rebuilt in 1940 by Harbor Boat Works, San Pedro, Calif.; acquired by the Navy from her owner, Mr. Martin Trutanich, 8 November 1940; and placed in service the same day as Killdeer.

From 9 November 1940 to 17 April 1941 she underwent conversion to AMC-21, and on 8 May 1941 she began service with the 12th Naval District. Operating out of San Francisco, Killdeer transferred to the Western Sea Frontier 1 August for further service as a channel minesweeping ship. She continued sweeping shipping lanes in the approaches to San Francisco Bay until 12 September 1944 when she was placed out of service. Reclassified as IX-194 on 25 September, Killdeer was used by the 12th Naval District as a general utility vessel. Her name was struck from the Naval Register 2 June 1945, and she was turned over to the Maritime Commission for disposal 9 January 1946.


LSIL-883 (q.v.) was commissioned 26 October 1944 and decommissioned in March 1946. On 7 March 1952, while out of commission in reserve, she was named Killdeer and reclassified AMOU-27. In July 1954 she was again reclassified LSIL-883.

Published: Tue Jul 28 12:45:46 EDT 2015