(Sch: dp. 1,419, t.; l. 287'6"; b. 39; dr. 19'8"; s. 10 k.; cp. 35; a. 26-pdrs.)
The first Justin retained a former name, and the second Justin was named after the first.
The first Justin, a schooner, was launched in 1891 by R. Dixon & Co., Middlesbrough, England; purchased from Bowring & Archibald; and commissioned 27 April 1898, Comdr. George E. Ide in command.
Justin performed collier service in the Chesapeake Bay area until sailing for Guantanamo Bay 2 June for coaling duties during the Spanish-American War. Returning to Virginia, Justin operated along the East Coast and in New England, then departed Norfolk 11 October. After visiting Brazil, Chile, Peru, and Mexico, she arrived San Francisco 3 February 1899 and decommissioned there 17 February.
Recommissioned at Mare Island 19 September 1900, Justin sailed 1 October for duty in the Far East. For the next 7 years she provided fuel and supplies to the Asiatic Fleet during a period of intense and growing American activity in the Orient. She returned to San Francisco 23 November 1907 via Guam and Honolulu. From 1907 to 1915 Justin carried coal to units of the Pacific Fleet stationed at widely scattered points from the West Coast to South America. She decommissioned at Mare Island 20 December 1915.