(PF-19: dp. 1,430; l. 303'1"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 190; a. 3 3", 4 40mm.; cl. Tacoma; T. S2-S2-AQ1)
Center lake in the Great Lakes and a city in east central South Dakota. Huron IV and V were named after the city.
The fifth Huron (PF-19), originally PG-127, was launched under Maritime Commission contract by American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio 3 July 1943; sponsored by Mrs. J. S. Tschetter, wife of the mayor of Huron, S. Dak.; acquired and commissioned 7 September 1944, Lt. Comdr. W. W. Collins, USCG, in command.
Manned by a coast guard crew, Huron conducted shakedown training off Bermuda during October and November. Returning to Norfolk, the ship sailed with a convoy bound from Norfolk to North Africa 1 December 1944. While bringing together merchant ships which had become separated during the night, Huron was rammed by SS James Fenimore Cooper shortly after midnight 8 December. Though the engine room flooded rapidly, the ship's damage control work was timely and skillful, keeping her afloat. After temporary repairs, Huron was towed through rough weather by Choctaw, arriving Bermuda 15 December 1944. From there she was taken to Charleston for conversion to a sonar4raining ship.
Huron arrived Key West 22 February 1945 for training operations at the Fleet Sonar School. She spent the remainder of the war providing both technical and tactical antisubmarine training for officers and men. Huron departed Key West for Norfolk 19 March 1946 and decommissioned there 19 April 1946. She was sold to United Dock Corp. 15 May 1947.