(YMS-371: dp. 270; l. 136'; b. 25'; s. 15 k.)
A large bulky bird, noted for the enormous size of the bill. Their flight is slow and heavy, and their plumage is chiefly black and white.
The second Hornbill (YMS-371) was launched as YMS-371, 27 November 1943 by Weaver Shipyards, Orange, Tex.; and commissioned 29 February 1944, Lt. J. L. Grace in command.
After her commissioning, YMS-371 participated in operations in the Gulf of Mexico until the summer of 1945, when she transited the Panama Canal en route to Okinawa, where she arrived 5 July to begin minesweeping operations. On 17 August, she departed Okinawa for Japan to sweep mines in Tokyo Bay, around the island of Honshu and in the naval base of Sasebo. On 16 February 1946, she ended her occupation duties and sailed for San Pedro, Calif., arriving 4 April. On 7 February 1947, YMS-371 was named Hornbill and reclassified AMS-19.
Hornbill served as a training ship on the West Coast and at Pearl Harbor until 1953, when she commenced duty with the U.S. Naval Schools of Mine Warfare, Yorktown, Va. Reclassified MSC(O)-19 on 17 February 1955, Hornbill decommissioned September 1957. She was struck from the Naval Register 1 November 1959, and sold 30 June 1960.
Hornbill earned two battle stars for her service in World War II.