(Ship: dp. 279; l. 92'8" ; b. 26'3- " ; cpl. 140; a. 18 guns)
A bearer of news.
The first Herald was built at Newburyport, Mass., and purchased at Boston from Edward Davis 15 June 1798.
Wearing a splendid figurehead of a man, she sailed from Boston 22 August 1798. She cruised in the West Indies from 1799 to 1800, protecting American commerce; and, after the treaty of peace with France had been ratified 18 February 1801, returned to the West Indies 23 March 1801 to recall the U.S. naval force.
Herald was sold at Boston in 1801.
(Ship: t. 274)
Herald, a ship-rigged sailing ship, was one of a group of 16 old whaling vessels purchased at New Bedford 27 September 1861. This "Stone Fleet" was towed to Charleston and sunk inside the main bar to obstruct the channel in December 1861.