Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Hawk II (AM-133)

(AM-133; dp. 590; l. 147'; b. 26'; dr. 13'; s. 12 k.; a. 2 6-pdrs.)

A bird of prey related to the falcon family, noted for its swiftness and grace in flight.

II

The second Hawk (AM-133), a converted trawler, was built in 1937 as Gale by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass.; acquired by the Navy 1 January 1942 from her owner, General Sea Foods Corp., Boston ; converted to a minesweeper at Bethlehem Steel's Atlantic Yard, and commissioned 23 May 1942, Lt. J. W. Lowes in command.

Hawk was assigned to the 1st Naval District and was based at the Boston Section Base. She performed general minesweeping duties near Boston and in mid-1943 was assigned to the Northern Ship Lane Patrol. Hawk decommissioned 1 May 1944 and was sold.

Published: Tue Jul 14 18:25:09 EDT 2015