(SS-147; dp. 358 n.; l. 150'4" ; b. 15-10" ; dr. 12'5" ; s. 14 k.; cpl. 25; a. 4 18" tt.; cl. H-1)
H-4 (SS-147) was launched 9 October 1918 at Puget Sound Navy Yard, and commissioned there 24 October 1918, Lt. Ralph O. Davis in command.
Stationed at San Pedro, Calif., first with SubDiv 6 and then SubDiv 7, H-4 participated in various battle and training exercises along the West Coast with her sister H-subs. These exercises were interrupted by occasional patrol duty off Santa Catalina Island and periodic overhauls at Mare Island.
In company with the two sub divisions and tender Beaver, H-4 sailed from San Pedro on 25 July 1922 and reached Norfolk on 14 September via Magdalena Bay, Corinto, and Coco Solo. She decommissioned there 25 October 1922. H-4 was struck from the Navy List 28 February 1931 and sold for scrap 14 September.