(DE-679: dp. 1,400; l. 306'; b. 37'; dr. 9'5"; s. 23.5 k.; cpl. 186; a. 3 3", 4 1.1", 8 20mm., 3 21" tt, 2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh) ; cl. Buckley)
Frank Greenwood was born in Methuen, Mass., 10 January 1915 and enlisted in the Naval Reserve 17 July 1940. He was later appointed Midshipman, received training at the Naval Reserve Midshipman's School, and commissioned 12 December 1940. Lt. (j.g.) Greenwood was killed 12 November 1942 when his ship Erie was torpedoed while on convoy duty in the Caribbean.
Greenwood (DE-679) was launched by the Fore River Ship Yard, Quincy, Mass., 21 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Laura Greenwood, mother of Lt. (j.g.) Greenwood; and commissioned 25 September 1943, Lt. Comdr. A. W. Slayton in command.
Greenwood sailed for the Pacific 29 November 1943, reaching Samoa, via the Panama Canal 26 December. She spent nearly a year in the South Pacific escorting transports and cargo ships through the New Hebrides and the Solomons, with side trips to Australia. On 30 December 1944 Greenwood sailed from New Guinea to join Admiral Kinkaid's 7th Fleet at Leyte Gulf. After escorting 26 merchantmen and LSTs to the Philippines and screening them while there, Greenwood sailed for Ulithi. There she picked up a convoy of supply and troop ships bound for Iwo Jima, still the scene of bloody battle, and sailed 5 March. Departing the Iwo Jima area 27 March, Greenwood sailed to Eniwetok, where she conducted submarine and antisubmarine training exercises.
After war's end, Greenwood sailed for a much-needed overhaul at Mare Island, and on 4 September 1945 steamed under the Golden Gate Bridge to end 22 months continuous service in the Pacific.
Following overhaul, Greenwood sailed for the East Coast via Panama 2 January 1946. After exercises with the Atlantic Fleet at Panama, she continued to New London, arriving 10 April. The following 3 years saw Greenwood functioning as an escort along the East Coast from Maine to Key West. On 2 May 1949 she reported at Key West for duty as school ship for the Fleet Sonar School, and remained in that useful service for nearly 6 years. After tours of escort duty at Norfolk and Newport, R.I., 1954 through 1957 Greenwood returned to Key West in July 1957. Six months later she was designated Selected Reserve Training Ship for the 6th Naval District, based at Charleston.
Placed out of commission in service 2 September 1958, Greenwood served as a reserve training ship until 2 October 1961, when she recommissioned in response to the renewed Berlin crisis. After training along the coast, she reported to Key West for further duty with the Fleet Sonar School 7 January 1962. As world tension eased, Greenwood decommissioned again 1 August 1962 but again stayed in service. Operating out of St. Petersburg, Fla., she continued to conduct reserve training cruises designed to keep the Navy's fighting strength and potential at their peak through the next five years. Greenwood was struck from the Navy List 20 February 1967 and sold for scrapping. Greenwood received 2 battle stars for World War II service.