A city in Nebraska.
(PF-14: displacement 1,430; length 304'; beam 38'; draft 12'; speed 20 knots; armament 3 3-inch, 4 40 millimeter, 9 20 millimeter, 2 depth charge tracks, 8 depth charge projectors, 1 depth charge projector (hedgehig); class Tacoma)
Grand Island (PF-14) -- originally designated as a gunboat, PG-122, was launched at Richmond, Calif., by Kaiser Cargo, Inc., on 19 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. William Shackleton; and commissioned on 27 May 1944, Lt. Cmdr. H. L. Morgan in command.
After completing her shakedown cruise off the coast of southern California, Grand Island reported for duty with the 12th Naval District 12 September 1944. She subsequently performed weather station and plane guard duty out of San Francisco and participated in several training exercises with patrol forces on the West Coast. She also was engaged from time to time in antisubmarine escort duty. Grand Island departed San Francisco 26 March 1946, arrived Charleston, S.C., on 13 April 1946 via the Canal Zone, and was turned over to the Commandant, Sixth Naval District, for disposal.
Decommissioned on 21 May 1946 and stricken from the Naval Register on 19 June 1946, she was declared not essential to the defense of the United States, and turned over to the State Department Foreign Liquidation Corporation; she was finally transferred to the Cuban government on 16 June 1947, where she served as Maximo Gomez.