(YMS-306: dp. 270; l. 136'; b. 24'6"; dr. 8'; s. 13 k.; cpl. 50; a. 1 3" ; cl. YMS-136)
An American lemon-yellow finch with black cap, wings, and tail.
The second Goldfinch (YMS-306), a wooden-hulled motor minesweeper, was built as YMS-306 by Rice Brothers Corp., East Boothbay, Maine, and commissioned 20 January 1944, Lt. (j.g.) K. B. Roberts in command.
YM8-306 departed Boston 6 February for shakedown training off Norfolk, Va., and upon completion reported to Bermuda for minesweeping duty, arriving 16 April 1944. Returning to Norfolk, the ship prepared for Pacific duty and departed for California 18 July 1945. She arrived San Pedro via the Canal 14 August, and after undergoing extensive repairs departed for Pearl Harbor, arriving 2 January 1946.
The minesweeper returned to the United States a month later, 5 February, and sailed 7 April for the East Coast via the Panama Canal. She arrived Charleston harbor 1 May 1946, and began a regular schedule of training and readiness operations with Mine Force, Atlantic Fleet. Her operations during the next years took her from Charleston to Panama City and Key West, Fla., and occasionally as far north as Argentia, Newfoundland. She participated in both individual and fleet training exercises, including amphibious operations in the Caribbean in February 1950 and off Onslow Bay, N.C., November 1954.
She was named Goldfinch (AMS-12) 17 February 1947. Her designation was changed to MSO(O)-12, 7 February 1955. The ship continued her schedule of sweeping operations until 15 July 1957 when she sailed from Charleston to Philadelphia. Arriving 18 July, she decommissioned 11 October 1957 and was placed in the Philadelphia Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet until struck from the Navy List 1 November 1957 and sold 2 June 1960 to the Maine Vocational Technical Institute.
Goldfinch (AM-395), authorized 16 May 1945, was to be built by Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich. Her contract was cancelled 1 November 1945.