(StTug: t. 81; l. 75'; b. 17'; dr. 8'; s. 8k.)
A rapid oblique movement; an oblique or indirect hit or thrust.
Glance was built in 1863 as the merchant tug Glide by Reany, Archibald & Sons, Philadelphia, Pa.; purchased by Rear Admiral S. H. Stringham at Boston 2 June 1864, and placed under command of Acting Ensign H. Wheeler.
Glance arrived at Hampton Roads, Va., on 20 July 1864 for service as yard tug until 13 July 1865 when ordered to Philadelphia for identical duty. She continued yard tug duties at Philadelphia until sold on 27 September 1883 to Mr. W. H. Swift, Boston, Mass.