Skip to main content
Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Aviation
  • Boats-Ships--Submarine
  • Boats-Ships--Frigate
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

George E. Davis (DE-357)

(DE-357; dp. 1,350; l. 306'; b. 36'7"; dr. 13'4"; s. 24.3 k; cpl. 222; a. 2 5", 4 40mm., 10 20mm., 3 21" tt, 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (h.h.), 2 dct.; cl. John C. Butler)

George Elliot Davis, Jr., born in Martin, Pa., 5 December 1913, graduated from the Naval Academy in 1935. Until 1937 he served in. Maryland (BB-46) as an aircraft gunnery observer; and, subsequently, until June 1938, he was on duty in West Virginia (BB-48). Transferred 15 June 1938 to Houston (CA-30), flagship of the Asiatic Fleet, Lt. Davis served in her until 4 February 1942 when he was killed in action by enemy aircraft near Madoera Strait, Borneo.

George E. Davis (DE-357) was laid down 15 February 1944 by the Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Tex.; launched 8 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. George E. Davis, Jr., widow; and commissioned 11 August 1944, Lt. Comd. Frederick L. Lincoln in command.

After shakedown off Bermuda, George E. Davis departed Norfolk for the Pacific 21 October and arrived Hollandia, New Guinea, 28 November. As a convoy escort, she sailed 7 December for the Philippines where she arrived San Pedro Bay, Leyte, 12 December. Assigned to the Philippine Sea Frontier, during the remaining months of fighting in the Pacific she served in the Southwest Pacific on convoy escort and antisubmarine patrols.

Until March 1945 George E. Davis operated out of San Pedro Bay, Leyte, escorting troop and supply convoys to and from New Guinea, the Admiralties, and the Palaus. On 23 March she departed Leyte for the western Philippines; and, steaming via Mindoro, she arrived Subic Bay, Luzon, the 30th. During the next 2 months she patrolled the convoy lanes west of Mindoro and Luzon, sweeping the South China Sea in search of Japanese submarines. Between 3 and 7 June she steamed from Subic Bay to Ulithi, Western Carolines, returning to Subic Bay the 12th as escort for a convoy. Departing 16 June, she returned to Ulithi the 20th; and between 27 and 30 June, she escorted a supply convoy to Leyte Gulf.

During July George E. Davis escorted convoys between the Philippines and Okinawa. After the Japanese capitulation 15 August, she continued escort and patrol duties in the Philippines and in the East China Sea. In September she guarded convoys carrying occupation troops from the Philippines to Japan. Early in December she sailed from the Philippines to the coast of China where she supported American and Chinese Nationalist troops during reoccupation operations along the coast of northern China. During January and February 1946 she operated along the coast of Japan before returning to Tsingtao, China, 20 February. She patrolled the East China and Yellow Seas off mainland China until 16 April when she departed for the United States. She arrived San Pedro, Calif., 11 May decommissioned at San Diego 26 August, and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet.

George E. Davis recommissioned at San Diego 11 July 1951, and departed San Diego 11 October. She steamed via the Panama Canal to the East Coast, where she arrived Newport, R.I., 27 October. Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, during the next 3 years she operated out of Newport, providing valuable service as a training ship for Naval Reserves. This unheralded but important duty carried her along the eastern seaboard and in the Caribbean and she continued this service until June 1954. She decommissioned 11 November 1954 at Green Cove Springs, Fla., and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. At present she is berthed with the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Orange, Tex.

Published: Mon Jul 13 08:45:00 EDT 2015