(SwStr: dp. 286; l. 150'; b. 37'; dr. 28'; a. 2 8" sb., 4 8")
A fortification in the Arkansas River near Saint Charles, captured from the Confederates in January 1863.
Fort Hindman, a side wheel steamer, was purchased 14 March 1863 as James Thompson; joined the Mississippi Squadron in April 1863, Acting Volunteer Lieutenant T. O. Selfridge in command; was renamed Manitou 23 March 1863; and renamed Fort Hindman 8 November 1863.
In July 1863, the steamer headed an expedition up the Little Red River, a tributary of the Black River, and captured quantities of ordnance and Confederate Government provisions, as well as the ironclad Louisville. She continued to patrol the central Mississippi and its tributaries, taking a Confederate merchantman prize in the Red River 1 March, engaging Confederate sharpshooters and a battery ashore in the Black and later that day in the Ouachita River. During the expedition, Fort Hindman transported troops and prisoners, over and over again engaged Confederate batteries, and took part in the passage of the falls off Alexandria, La., on 8 May.
Moving to a more southerly patrol area, Fort Hindman operated in the rivers and bayous of Louisiana, occasionally returning to Natchez. She arrived at Mound City, Ill., 1 August 1865. There she was decommissioned 3 August 1865, and sold 17 August 1865.